A Buddhist Community for Students and Families
Joining our Dharma School is a great way to meet families and allow your child to learn Buddhist teaching in an interactive format. The Mission of the Tacoma Buddhist Temple’s Dharma School provides students:
- a way to understand Jodo Shinshu teachings in a meaningful and joyful way
- opportunities to experience and practice these teachings in their everyday life
- an appealing and nurturing environment for students to gain acceptance within the temple community
Due to COVID-19, we continue to build community through activity-oriented classes held via Zoom. Each class is 30 minutes, bi-weekly and led by a Dharma School teacher with Rev. Koyama and the Dharma School Superintendent. Rev. Koyama begins each class with a short message and then students gather by grade. Temple teachers stay connected with families to ensure students are enjoying their time and support students in any way.
Dharma school classes: (these grade clusters are dependent on size of cohorts)
Lumbini and Prajna Class: Pre-K – 5th grade
Maitreya Class: 6th – 8th grade
Lotus Class: 9th-12th grade
Current Schedule: Zoom class held 10:45 am – 11:15 a.m. bi-weekly. Please check out the temple calendar for class schedule.
To Join and Learn More: Please email June Akita, Superintendent at email@example.com.
Recent ‘Off Week’ optional classes held over Zoom included:
- Home Obustudan: Built with kamamboko wood blocks so students can oshoko at home.
- Engi Project: Students created a decorative piece which showed an example of interdependence.
- Gingerbread House Making: Who doesn’t like to make their own gingerbread house.
- “Ask Sensei”: New this year, students submit any question to sensei and he creates a video of his answers. Check out his latest answers on our temple YouTube channel.
We hope you join our Dharma School and experience our unique Tacoma Buddhist Temple Community.